Saturday, October 20, 2007

Recap of Last Night

Suffering Bastard
Twodeadsluts Onegoodfuck
Mark Solotroff
HZMT
Anaphylaxis

10-19-07
Mr. City
Chicago, IL

Thanks to Seth and everyone at Mr. City for agreeing to host the show. Thanks to everyone who came out to support! It looked grim, at first. Some folks were already down in Saint Louis for the noise fest there. Some people were at Dark Funeral. Other were at High On Fire. And people even came over after the Meneguar show. Busy night. But people kept arriving and it turned out to be a nice crowd.

Anaphylaxis started off the night in a more calm manner, using modular synth, light sensitive home-built gadgets, and other electronic ephemera to great effect. It has been a while since I played with, or saw, Jason and Andrew, so it was nice to have them on board.

Anthony Miller, AKA HZMT, AKA Hazmat, AKA Dirty Tony, etc., was up next. Most off his gear seemed to be made of circuits and Great Stuff - but I wished that I had some foam for my ears, because one of his handmade devices was like an inner ear slicer. Weird electronics and vocals upped the ante for the nigh - we were still only on the back-side PA - and it was already starting to hurt.

I was up next, and I tried to do a very slow build-up. Things got dense fairly quickly, and before I knew it, I had overloaded the PA and knocked the head out of commission. Bummer... but the Suffering Bastard guys had an extra... they roll with over half-a-dozen, at least... so they got me sorted out within about three minutes. After I was back up and running, I just picked up where I had left off. I kept adding to the dense fabric of feedback... kept the vocals more subtle, until everything was maxed out... and then I did heavier vocals into the speaker. Not great, but not the worst. My ears were certainly ringing more. Major thanks to the SxBx guys for getting me back in business!

Here is where things take a turn for the truly painful...

Twodeadsluts Onegoodfuck turned on, and all bets were off. No shit, the most intense power-electronics (I guess that is what they are) that I have seen since Slogun started playing live. Completely ear-piercing feedback and vocals - coming out of the SxBx soundclash PA system - primitive synth pulses/patterns - in your face stage presence. I almost do not want to describe it. Heavy fucking stuff. The real deal. I wish that I could be in the basement of Apop records tonight... damn.

Suffering Bastard capped off the night with the doomiest, crustiest set that I have seen by them, yet - BLOODYMINDED has played with them twice in Providence. Their twin bass sound was such an extreme change from TDS OGF, who seemed to occupy a completely different spectrum of the air. SxBx was more of a bowel-churning gut punch. Best nail spike arm bands in ages, too!

All in all, a great mix of styles... a fun night... good crowd interaction. But my ears feel like they were jabbed with an icepick...

Photographs are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bloodlustchicago/

Video is below...

Anaphylaxis



HZMT



Twodeadsluts Onegoodfuck (one)



Twodeadsluts Onegoodfuck (two)



Suffering Bastard