Friday, February 22, 2008

Gothic Doom

Thanks to a birthday present that arrived with Isidro at one of The Fortieth Day (+ Noise Crush!) practices this week, I have been on a steady diet of the "great three" (not my term)... My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, and Anathema. I am not 100% sure whether I should be thanking him or poking him in the ear with a pencil, but it is certainly strange to revisit this stuff so heavily, after so long. I can only usually manage a CD, or two, every once in a while. Maybe that idea of an Animal Law and Unlucky Atlas split single (thanks, Terence) is not so strange, after all, although it would have to be a 10-inch or a 12-inch, obviously. Shmoosh us together, and squint, and you almost have that style of music. It seems a bit too obviously morose to listen to these groups after losing a friend this week, but, well, if the shoe fits...