Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Consumer Electronics in Saint Louis

That was quite a show! Thanks to Dustin, Tiffany, and everyone else at Apop for hosting this one. Thanks to Philip, Pete, and Christian, for the amusing trip opportunity. It was great to see and to talk to various Saint Louis friends during the course of the night. It is always a pleasure to see/hear Ghost Ice and Worm Hands play. And that was my first-ever Eugenics Council show... Intense! I have already played my recording of the Consumer Electronics set a few times, and it came out really well. I know that Chad was taking photographs... anyone else? We played a longer set than in Chicago and the audience energy was so much better in Saint Louis. We started off with a ten-minute instrumental piece before Philip broke into vicious vocal mode. I was not 100% thrilled with my synth during the first part, but things really seemed to gel when Philip kicked into gear, forthwith. The vocal part of the set lasted for about 25 minutes, with only a small break towards the end to calm down the crowd, which was seething forward, threatening to topple the gear and APOP's sound equipment. Thanks to Dustin for traffic control and thanks to Josh from Worm Hands' girlfriend, Kristin, for taking over on my synth for a moment, while I went into the crowd. We wrapped up with something almost atmospheric, and a bit less "threatening," which sounded really nice to me. I ate the worst BLT of my life on the way there but on the way back I had a tasty breakfast "shoe." Once again, Starbucks banana-chocolate Vivanos saved the day. As did the Stranglers...