Sunday, April 26, 2009

Private Series in Discussion

As people have been picking up a number of the older private series singles recently, renewed dialog about this series has begun. As people have been asking, I decided to post a simple explanation for the basic motivation for these records. Here is a part of a message that I recently sent to a mail-order customer in Japan:

"All 19 of the singles in the private series were packaged in a uniformly minimalist style, which was chosen to place the emphasis on the music and not on the packaging. The idea was that the recordings should reflect my personal interests and tastes, and if you own several of the records, you could randomly reach for any one of them to play - and you would hear one of a diverse number of sounds and styles that had an impact on me, by way of my own long-term friendships, past touring relationships, etc."

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=92668