Thursday, May 07, 2009

What a Horror!

It caught me a bit off-guard... this new album by The Horrors - "Primary Colours" - I had a passing interest in 2007's "Strange House" if only for it's (their, really) Birthday Party or Batcave pretensions (look?), but the garage-heavy songs left me a bit flat. The new album has an unexpectedly strange My Bloody Valentine and Krautrock (Can beats) overhaul to it... and a surprising Portishead affiliation... and lots of mentions of vintage analog synths in articles/interviews (yeah, I know, Radiohead shallowly did that about ten years ago)... thankfully, the synth work is well inegrated and not floating on top to show off a rare purchase... and this thing has a pretty amazing swagger to it. This should definitely get me off of Manic Street Preachers and the Death in June singles comp. repeats for a while...