Thursday, January 07, 2010

A Gloomy Tradition

At the risk of prematurely letting the cat out of the bag... I just got back from a recording session at which I did vocals for Rabid Rabbit - on a version of the widely covered song "Gloomy Sunday" that they are working on. Between Andrea and I, there will be numerous takes of vocals, specifically so that it can be determined what works best for the style of duet that we conceived. For such a slow interpretation of the song, the two primary verses were really challenging to sing without totally gasping for air.

While we were working on it, we discussed "Some Velvet Morning" - originally by Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra - but it came up in the context of Roland S. Howard's recent death - and his amazing duet with Lydia Lunch on their cover version.

Here are the lyrics that we focused on for our version. I also did a screaming part that used a translation of some of the more extreme and violent Hungarian lyrics:

--------------------------

Sunday is gloomy,
My hours are slumberless,
Dearest, the shadows,
I live with are numberless.
Little white flowers,
Will never awaken you.
Not where the black coach of
Sorrow has taken you.
Angels have no thought,
Of ever returning you.
Would they be angry,
If I thought of joining you?

Gloomy Sunday

Sunday is gloomy,
With shadows I spend it all.
My heart and I,
Have decided to end it all.
Soon there'll be candles,
And prayers that are said I know.
Let them not weep,
Let them know that I'm glad to go.
For death is no dream,
And in death I'm caressing you.
With the last breath of my soul,
I'll be blessing you.

Gloomy Sunday

--------------------------

So, it is with confidence that I feel like a frightfully doom-laden and darkly romantic take on the classic early 1930's suicide song will be emerging pretty soon. We may even try it live on February 15th, if we have time to work it out properly, beforehand.

For more on "Gloomy Sunday" see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloomy_Sunday

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEii8tDkyarT-pV669N2adLED_cU4OA8PDGLsS8-2-Xnwj8aVnn1wHkdJNzixyVGKAXg0NtkavTkLQvvxPpFV1bB85dG_9qVkYxoRSx9wzYp_HLP_uggBiT8Odt0Mm-6neBMIkWG/s320/gloomy-sunday-billie-holiday-suicide-song.jpg