- Thanks to my friends who came out to Rodan on Wednesday night. I had fun DJing with Sanford (FoTN, yes!). Thanks to Andy Slater for asking me. Thanks to the Bloodiest bartenders for their hospitality. Because I am evidently the "approachable" one, not Sanford, I got asked to play some Biggie. The girl who asked me seemed pretty bummed out when I told her that I would not be spinning that sort of thing. So I remedied that with a 19-minute long Otesanek track called "Dead in the Park" that chugs along at about 20-BPM. If that did not put her and her friends over the edge, the Bloody Panda track that followed certainly helped clear their booth out.
- Despite horrible traffic on Chicago Ave., I made it over to Permanent Records earlier that night to catch a good portion of The Swan King's in-store set there. Best wishes to them on their tour!
- Last night's The Soft Moon show was excellent. Their full-length has easily been my most-listened-to album of the last 6+ months and I really enjoyed their live performance. It was great to see Patrick/Unur play again, too.
- I should be all caught up with mail-order by tomorrow evening. It has been a really busy week and I appreciate the support from everyone who ordered from the BloodShop!
- Mark Solotroff is DJing at Rodan tonight with Sanford Parker (scroll down for details)
- Last night's show at The Empty Bottle was intense. I got there late due to AoH practice (sorry Lord Mantis and Mutilation Rites) but I walked in just as Batillus went on and their live sound totally lived up to what I have been enjoying about their still relatively new LP. I was really pleased to make it in time to see them. It has been years since I last saw Sourvein -- I am thinking Fireside Bowl when Liz Buckingham (Electric Wizard, ex-13) was still in the band -- and they simply kicked major ass last night. Heavy, aggro, Southern-tinged sludge metal. I have to say that it was great to see/hear them in such fine form in 2011. Nachtmystium were up last and they added another layer of wallop to an already pummeling night of metal. It might have seemed like a weird mix of bands but the three that I managed to see fit together pretty nicely. And I know what Lord Mantis would have added to the flow
- I hope to make it to Permanent Records this evening to see The Swan King play an in-store at 6:00 PM, and back to the Empty Bottle tomorrow night to see The Soft Moon with local minimal-synth favorite Unur. The Soft Moon's late-2010 full-length has been one of my most-played albums of the last six+ months
Here are a few photographs from Saturday's show with Cages at The Empty Bottle. A write-up and more pictures should follow soon. Our thanks go to Edra Soto for coming to see us and for taking these photos!