Sunday, April 27, 2008

Further thoughts on Friday

I thought carefully about posting this, because I am sure that this comment will generate some dispensable comments, but I have to say that based upon the turnout for this show --- which was pretty damned good, considering how many shows/events there were to choose from on Friday --- what The Flowershop took in at the door was embarrassing, when it came time to settle up with the other performers. Evidently, a lot of people seemed to think that it was okay to pay $1.00 or $2.00, even though the show was listed at $7.00.

Maybe I am way off base here, but I thought that the point of listing a show with a "suggested donation" amount was typically to help protect unlicensed venues from any problems that might arise from charging at the door --- not to suggest to freeloaders that it is okay to forgo paying the full amount --- particularly at a show like this where people were on tour and/or drove some distance to perform.

As important as I feel it is to continue organizing and promoting shows, like this one, in Chicago, this is one more reason why it seems like a less appealing road to continue down in the future...