Friday, January 30, 2009

BloodLust! Interview Series: #10 Redrot



Ryan Oppermann (Redrot + Fabrico Incubo, Klinikal Skum, Narcoleptic Ward, Neuntöter Der Plage, Post-Mortem Junkie, Xombie)

1. What have you been listening to lately?

Lately? Actually I’ve been listening to a bit of French Avant Black Metal such as SPEKTR, DEATHSPELL OMEGA, and the really weird albums of BLUT AUS NORD. Also, some more classic stuff like early CARCASS, MORBID ANGEL and INFERNAL MAJESTY's "None Shall Defy". Yes, loads of metal basically. As usual. I’ve also been checking out some more "serious" Modern Electronic Composition. Yes, I don't mind academia as long as the product sounds good.

2. Have you been to any interesting concerts recently?

I haven't been going to a lot of shows, but I did see a killer NUNSLAUGHTER house-show in Lansing with some other metal/punk bands on the bill. it was great to see that kind of comradery that you only get at "punk" shows and such. I haven't seen any of that in a long time. It was fantastic.

3. Can you name a favorite film, or two (or a television program), from the last few months?

Honestly I can't. I completely loathe television, and I only watch movies if the given movie is TOTALLY fucked up, and only if I feel like it. The only TV I've seen in the last few months is basically the little smatterings of Oprah and the Lifetime Movie Channel I involuntarily catch myself watching at work. Totally horrendous.

4. Have you read a good book lately?

Nope. I've got a bunch of books I should be reading. Just haven't gotten around to it. Lazy.

5. Have you attended any recent art shows worth mentioning?

Unfortunately no. I do enjoy art quite a lot actually. I've primarily been a shut-in this winter.

6. Do you have any current obsessions of note?

Yes.

1) My new iPod. I've never owned one before. I've been trying to load it up with things I actually want to listen to. 16Gb is a LOT of MP3's by the way...

2) My MPC. Once i start something, i simply cannot stop until it is finished. I am it's slave and a horribly meticulous one at that. I do not like to take breaks from it. It's worse than ANY other obsessive routine I may get into. It's bad. I just spent the majority of the last four days in MPC-land...

7. Please tell me what recordings, projects (any medium), etc., you are working on right now, if anything

Just finishing up a couple of tracks for a KLINIKAL SKUM 12" LP. A 45rpm type of dealy. Basically they both need some kind of proper ending rather than a fade out or some such nonsense. Meticulousness is not your friend, until the end...

I'm still working on a REDROT album for Grey (Chondritic Sound). It's been like 5 or 6 years or more since he asked. Recording things such as vocals are not so easy. These things can become difficult when you live in an apartment with many neighbors.

8. What do you hope to accomplish this year?

First I would like to finally be done with smoking. I'm doing my best. If I can quit smoking this year that would be wonderful. It smells terrible and sticks to everything, I really don't like just handing over that much money to "the man", and I could probably do REDROT vocals a lot better.

Secondly, last year I got myself a guitar. I need to learn how to play the damned thing better. I can play bass guitar quite well, guitar is a different beast altogether. I need to learn how to double pick (FAST) and to squeal (well).

9. Is there anything else that you would like to mention, announce, or hype?

Nope, thanks for the questionnaire, and to anyone who has actually bothered to read this.