Thursday, January 29, 2009

BloodLust! Interview Series: #9 Envenomist



David Reed (of Envenomist, Luasa Raelon, Brittle Foundries, and the Snip-Snip Records label)

1. What have you been listening to lately?

Lots of Celtic Frost. They had that bio at the library of all places and on reading it, got me listening to the music again.
Misfits-Earth AD
Kiss-Hotter Than Hell
Electric Wizard's self-titled release and Come My Fanatics
Paysage D'Hiver
Trancelike Void
Prurient-Black Post Society

2. Have you been to any interesting concerts recently?

Not too much going on in Columbus right now. I think the last concert I went to was the Nine Inch Nails show when it rolled through. A couple local shows .nothing big. Looking forward to spring and people on the road again. Wolf Eyes' are hitting the town. That will be fun.

3. Can you name a favorite film, or two (or a television program), from the last few months?

Kontroll. Really liked it. Hungarian movie I think. Main guy is a subway cop. Kinda surreal and entertaining.
The second season of Metalocalypse DVD. Love that show.

4. Have you read a good book lately?

Been reading a lot of philosophy lately. Don't know if that would qualify as good but interesting to me. Roland Barthes has got me thinking and noticing things in new ways. Pretty cool when that happens.
Another new thing is crime novels. Anything by Westlake/Stark and Charles Willeford I can get from the library.

5. Have you attended any recent art shows worth mentioning?

I wish...I do live in Columbus after all. There are a couple artists I have been really into lately. Caspar David Friedrich. Found out about him when I was reading a book on the Romanticism movement. Really liking his work. And Neo Rauch. Pieter (Schoolwerth - Ed.) turned me on to him last fall.

6. Do you have any current obsessions of note?

I think I covered them in the book and art questions. Playing way too much Wii recently. Totally destroying my productivity.

7. Please tell me what recordings, projects (any medium), etc., you are working on right now, if anything

Doing a lot of recording of Luasa Raelon material for the next release and material for a split and a collab with Wire Werewolves. As for Envenomist, finished material for a lathe and going to start recording for a cassette on Bloodlust!

8. What do you hope to accomplish this year?

More touring. Would love to get out of the US and play either Europe or down south of the US at some point this year. And keep rolling on recording. Would love to have everything I have sent to places get released this year.

9. Is there anything else that you would like to mention, announce, or hype?

I have a new Luasa Raelon CD out on my label, Snip-Snip Records, and if you want to hear a track off it, check out myspace.com/davidnathanreed.