Tuesday, February 03, 2009

BloodLust! Interview Series: #14 Jonathan Canady - Angel of Decay



Jonathan Canady (Angel of Decay, Deathpile, Dead World, The Urge Within, Hollow Earth, Blunt Force Trauma, Torture Chamber, the Malsonus label, etc.)

1. What have you been listening to lately?

Lots of stuff from the Mutant Sounds Blog (http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.com/). My current favorite is Igor Wakhevitch.

The new Luasa Raelon CD "The House of Flesh" is truly amazing as well.


2. Have you been to any interesting concerts recently?

No, but I am very much looking forward to seeing AMEBIX next weekend.

3. Can you name a favorite film, or two (or a television
program), from the last few months?

Film: Jack Smith and the Destruction of Atlantis. TV: Superjail!

4. Have you read a good book lately?

I am currently in the midst of "The Rainbow Stories" by William Vollmann and am loving it.

5. Have you attended any recent art shows worth mentioning?

Tonight I am going to a reception for the "Grand Small Works" show at The F.U.E.L. Collection in Philly. I have two paintings in the show and there are MANY other fine artists involved as well. You can see a bunch of the work here: http://flickr.com/photos/fuelcollection1/sets/72157610972155109/

I also plan on going up to New York to see Pieter Schoolwerth's new show at Miguel Abreu Gallery as soon as possible.


6. Do you have any current obsessions of note?

The Mutant Sounds blog, again.

7. Please tell me what recordings, projects (any medium),
etc., you are working on right now, if anything

I am starting a new series of small acrylic on canvas paintings as soon as I get a minute to breathe. You can track my progress (and other goings on / interests) on my blog at http://malsonus.blogspot.com/
No recording this year. Maybe next year, but not as ANGEL OF DECAY or DEATHPILE (never again on both fronts).

8.
What do you hope to accomplish this year?

I hope to stay out of jail, the insane asylum and/or the morgue and sell enough art to get out of debt. That would all be nice.

9. Is there anything else that you would like to mention, announce, or hype?
Only that I love Mark Solotroff and I don't care who knows it.