Saturday, February 07, 2009

BloodLust! Interview Series: #18 Cadaver in Drag

Cadaver in Drag (interviews completed by Josh Lay and Jason Schuler)

1. What have you been listening to lately?

JL: Darkthrone-F.O.A.D, Sleep Museum-Home, Black Funeral-Ordog, Josetxo Gieta-The Art of Distraction, Hair Police-Certainty of Swarms, Martial Canterel-Cruelty Frames Our Age

JS: I've been listening to Fela Kuti rather incessantly, King Crimson, Wierd Vol. 2, Tiny Fights (awesome Lexington band), Black Flag, Fleetwood Mac, Yes, Harmonia, the usual schtufffff.

2. Have you been to any interesting concerts recently?

JL: I just saw Hair Police, Treetops, Caboladies, and infinity Window. Amazing night. Caboladies blew me away with what was hands down the best set I've seen them perform.

JS: Nothing really comes to mind, although I did get to listen to Attempt play on Ben Allen's radio show last night on WRFL. That was a real treat.

3. Can you name a favorite film, or two (or a television program), from the last few months?

JL: That's a hard one. El Topo, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Clockwork Orange come to mind.

JS: I hardly ever watch television unless there is some cool documentary on K.E.T. (which is rather often). As far as movies go, I've really gotten into Alejandro Jodorowsky's work as of recent. "Fando y Lis” had a profound effect on me. I've been watching a lot of Marlon Brando (especially "The Wild One" w/Lee Marvin),"The Vodka Movie" was fucking hysterical, various Westerns, nature films etc.

4. Have you read a good book lately?

JL: Reading a book about Crazy Horse right now. Pretty good so far.

JS: I finished reading Nabokov's "Lolita" a few months ago and I can say with absolute confidence that this is the finest piece of literature I've ever read, I actually found myself stalling out the end because I didn't want it to end. Right now I am reading Alan Eckert's "A Sorrow in Our Hearts". It’s a great book about the life and times of one of the earliest Native American activists, Tecumseh.

5. Have you attended any recent art shows worth mentioning?

JL: Not really. One of the bummers that come with Kentucky life.

JS: It saddens me to say no.

6. Do you have any current obsessions of note?

JL: I've been playing this online MMORPG called Nodiatis. It's consumed my life in the unhealthiest way.

JS: The idea of loss and suffering and my own mortality.

7. Please tell me what recordings, projects (any medium), etc., you are working on right now, if anything.

JL: I have been working on a few solo releases, as well as finishing up a new full length with Cadaver in Drag.

JS: We're putting the final touches on the next Cadaver in Drag record titled "Breaking and Entering" due out on Animal Disguise Recordings sometime early this year. We're pretty happy with what we've got so far, and it’s certainly a departure from what people are used to hearing from us. It’s a record about the terrible side of the human psyche and how we take from one another without asking, and why we take from one another. Even when it’s not necessarily the right thing to do. I'm also going to start working on a movie in February tentatively entitled "Careful" with my close friend and band mate in Warmer Milks, Clint Colburn. Cadaver in Drag is also set to do a release for BloodLust! in the very near future, we're working on a re-issue of a couple old releases that almost no one ever heard. Back in (I think) 2005 we did a recording for Husk Records called "Abuse," and that was only in an addition of 100, in that same span of time (the “Born Mugged” days) we did a cassette for ADR called "Breathing Sewage". It’s kinda’ funny because I think that that was some of our finest work to date and Gary did a tour only edition of like 20 or something. I still have my suspicions that it was on account of the cover hurting his eyes when he cut the sleeves out. You'll see what I mean.

8. What do you hope to accomplish this year?

JL: Release a new full length record with Cadaver in Drag, release my first 12" on my label Husk Records, go on tour, make new friends on the road.

JS: I want to travel and tour as much as I can when the semester is over with. I would also like to get all of my pending projects finished.

9. Is there anything else that you would like to mention, announce, or hype?

JL: Should have a lot of new material coming out. New Cadaver full length. A solo 12",7", and pro pressed cdr on various labels. Thanks for your time.

JS: I can’t think of anything off of the top of my head, but I would like to thank you for the interview, and everything else you do for music and art.