Wednesday, February 18, 2009

BloodLust! Interview Series: #30 Greh Holger

Greh Holger (Cleanse, Hive Mind, Black Sand Desert, Acid Bed, Black Rubber, Chainfight, Crosse Humiliation, Gate To Gate, Greh Wolfs, Kvlts, Miscarriage, Obelisk, S.P., etc.)

1. What have you been listening to lately?

Prurient - Black Post Society -- a pleasant meshing of the older atmospheric disturbance and harsh/power electronics work with his modern synth style, and some grotesque vocals.
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside -- always a favorite to put on, been getting regular play at work.
Lots of different John Fahey stuff after recently getting turned on to him. Just puts me in the right zone.
and what seems like a million of those "Return to/Tribute to/whatever" Flexipop comps circulating on the net.
Various tape masters that I've received lately have been killing me, notably Pax Titania, Raglani and David Russell as well as lathe masters from Envenomist and Dilloway.

2. Have you been to any interesting concerts recently?

Tim & Eric Awesome Show Tour 2009 was the last major thing I've seen, as well as a pair of Awesome Color shows that had me banging my head and chugging whiskey. T&E had me cracking up the entire show doing skits or characters from the TV show, playing video interludes and having some of the shows staples perform their bits.

3. Can you name a favorite film, or two (or a television program), from the last few months?

Unfortunately I'm addicted to horrible VH1 and Bravo reality programming, so Rock of Love Bus, Top Chef, Tool Academy, Celebrity Rehab & Sober House. Also just watched a stretch of the original Peter Sellers Pink Panther movies which I hadn't seen since childhood and were even better than I'd remembered.

4. Have you read a good book lately?

I'm constantly reading these days.

Tattoo the Wicked Cross by Floyd Salas - I just started this but the way it is written really has me wrapped up. It's very poetic and grim, taking for example a few pages to describe how utterly dismal a room and the view from it are in great detail.
Lordotics by Peter Sotos - Keep picking this one up and putting it down. I'm enjoying it but it hasn't sucked me in the way Comfort & Critique did, which is a shame because it seems his writing has gotten better and a bit more cohesive on this one. Giving it time!
Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopedia vol. 3 - Just as good as the previous two. The accompanying text is good and informative but the photos and drawings are the real meat.
The Man in High Castle by Philip K. Dick - a re-read that I couldn't avoid after chugging through several other PKD novels. Spurred on partly by the cover of the new Dave Philips LP on RRR. The main stories in the book are interesting but I find myself most drawn to the concepts of historicity, collectability and authenticity vs forgery subplot involving Frink, Childan and the young Japanese couple, as well as how that ties into the false identities and multiple realities in the book.

5. Have you attended any recent art shows worth mentioning?

Art shows? In Detroit? I wish.

6. Do you have any current obsessions of note?

My Xerox machine, Life Nature/Science Library books, some synth modules I just picked up.

7. Please tell me what recordings, projects (any medium), etc., you are working on right now, if anything

I'm working on the next Hive Mind album, a bit more conceptual than previous recordings and using a wider variety of equipment and home-made "instruments". I'm also working on a book of collage and continuing to expand Chondritic past the realm of only doing audio. I plan to collaborate more with Damion Romero while I'm out in LA later this month.

8. What do you hope to accomplish this year?

Moving to Los Angeles in the summer is the main goal right now. I'm out there visiting for the last half of February and getting the lay of the land. More vinyl on Chondritic Sound, and continuing the lathe series.

9. Is there anything else that you would like to mention, announce, or hype?

Nope.