Sunday, May 10, 2009

Horrors! Kills!

I went to see The Horrors and The Kills last night at Metro... it was some much-needed and great rock and roll. The Horrors basically stuck to their new album, which could not have been better for me... even if it meant nearly coming to fisticuffs with a certain ex-member of BLOODYMINDED and Intrinsic Action over our opposing opinions about which is their clearly better album. But since it was a sold-out show and a VIP table with a great view was involved, I kept calm... Ha ha! The mix of hard shoegazer guitars and mutated synth parts rang out in a blissfully distorted way over Metro's big PA. Nice! And I had not seen The Kills in a few years... since doing so with Mr. NG5361 and said ex-member, etc., at The Empty Bottle -- and I figured that they really needed to step up their stage presence game to not get lost on Metro's large stage... which they did, quite successfully, I would say. The cover versions were a bit on the obvious side (Patsy Cline and Screamin' Jay Hawkins), but I guess that they worked. For such a retro-based style, the duo does have an appealingly future rock 'n roll thing about them -- even if it is in a sort of turn-of-the-milleneum Sonik Mook sort of way. I cannot believe that I just typed that. Ah well... Will power was in strong supply later (even if somehow derailed even later) as a nightcap stop at a shockingly sedate Kuma's remained burger-free. Off to see Mom...