Sunday, December 27, 2009

Year End on Ecstatic Peace!

Our friend David Russell was most kind in his year end summary on the Ecstatic Peace! website.

http://www.ecstaticpeace.com/2009poll.php

David Russell | A Soundesign Recording / Jerk / Relentless Corpse
I got to see Uneven Universe and Burial Hex twice each this year in Chicago, both acts are on the next level, some of my favorite music this year. But the real treat of '09 for me was seeing Nate Young four times in Ohio as both Hatred and Regression. Nate's recent sets are exactly where my mind is at.
Solid first time performances from Mark Solotroff's Anatomy Of Habit and Nightmares, and classic BLOODYMINDED at Matchitehew in Chicago. Inspiring free music from Han Bennink, playing solo at Corbett vs. Dempsey Gallery in Chicago. Evan Parker & Ned Rothenberg at Fairchild Chapel in Oberlin. J Guy Laughlin, Tiger Hatchery and Wasteland Jazz Unit all over the midwest.
Exceptional Chicago shows from: ONO and Travis solo, Oakeater and Volahn at Matchitehew, Sightings at The Mopery, Throbbing Gristle and Emeralds at Logan Sq. Auditorium. But the one that moved me the most was Halflings at The Empty Bottle, intense, I had no idea.
Ohio: Caroliner in Oberlin was just incredible. My favorite band right now is a toss up, Kent's Moth Cock and Cleveland scummers Dead Peasant Insurance, both consistently solid this year.