Friday, January 18, 2008

Wierd 311


Thanks to everyone who came out to see me at Wierd on Wednesday night. Thanks so much to Pieter for having me back! It is always a pleasure (...seekers...) Thanks to Glenn, for help with sound. Thanks to Sean/Martial Canterel and James/Blacklist, for extra microphone stands. There was a pretty amazing mix of people at Home Sweet Home that night... from James and Alex from Milwaukee... to Arthur from Allentown... to John from The Cathode Terror Secretion and Jeremy from Halflings... to Miles from Kalamazoo and his crew... to Chris/Little Enjoyer... to more recent Chicago (and area) transplants like Brandon from Electric Set and Kurtis... to all the very rare Wierd people who show me such great support... even those who were not up for the feedback... Yep, and a 311 call had come in shortly before I was supposed to play, so the volume could not really be all that it was hoped for. Wierd is really struggling with a tenant in the building above the bar. That said, I did what I could with my feedback frequencies, before maxing everything out. The best part for me is that it forced me to rely on vocals more, and as I had just done in Chicago on Saturday, I utilized the lyrics to "In Fives," singing them in a different way... a bit more monotone, but still with a melody, albeit a different one than with Animal Law. The result, easily one of my favorite solo shows yet, one in which I was further forced out of my comfort zone. And into the dense fog...

Other NYC highlights, thus far...

Right off of the plane and over to the Martial Canterel analog studio supreme... for previews of new songs (private series, included!!!) even with some live vocals added for maximum pleasure.

Having to find an alternate route into Manhattan yesterday afternoon after someone purportedly tried to jump off of the Williamsburg Bridge, causing the bridge to be shut down and causing a subway service suspension.

Making it through a good chunk of Chelsea before the rain started last night. Of note: the Luis Gispert show at Mary Boone - specifically, a pretty amazing, rather dark film called, "Smother."

An odd session over at Hospital.


Off to Miguel Abreu Gallery while Pieter's paintings are installed...

More soon...