Monday, October 13, 2008

A Quick Word On A Show Attended Last Night

Unlucky Atlas, Auris, and Bokeh at Enemy:

Re-post from:
http://www.chondriticsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20714

Really glad to have made it to this show. Hopefully I was not too much of a zombie. It was a looooong weekend!

This was my second Bokeh show and Mandy and Mykel played an even more assured set than at Elastic. Sill definitely entrenched in a dark, ethereal place that would appeal to fans of the earliest Current 93 and Coil recordings [sorry, my vocabulary might be a bit limited for this type of thing] -- I will be really curious to hear how their first couple of upcoming releases turn out. I imagine that their music will be extremely effective on CD or LP, as it will allow one's imagination to run...

The free jazz aspect of Auris was not really to my taste, so I tried to focus on Eric's always fascinating percussion rig. Combining that with some of the experimental guitar work, I could nearly hear a kinship to certain more abstract Einsturzende Neubauten recordings... but the reed and wind instruments kept dragging me back to jazz.

Unlucky Atlas focused on four newer songs [one that I was definitely familiar with] in preparation for hitting the recording studio next week. If this show was any indication, they are more than ready to commit these songs to tape [or Pro-Tools]. It was a really nice way to cap off an intense weekend... dark and somber songs... a low-key setting... an unusually warm night...

...and a very talkative taxi driver on the way home...