Saturday, January 10, 2009

Emotional Feedback

-- Despite the snow that was (and still is) falling from this winter's next great blizzard, I finally made it out last night to see Neil Jendon's dream-pop/shoegazer band, Bugglette, who sounded great -- especially over the Bottom Lounge's massive PA. I am pretty sure that early on, I heard Neil playing the weird guitar intro from Rush's "Spirit of the Radio," but maybe I was hallucinating. The Bowie cover ("Boys Keep Swinging) hit the spot, too... I will put their newly released CD (which has a Kiss cover: "Goin' Blind") on after another espresso. On the news, the weather forecast is calling for "barabarically cold temperatures" this coming week in Chicago. Fuck. That should help with the next item...

-- After reading some interesting reviews, and getting a final strong recommendation from Joseph from Haptic, I have started reading Roberto Bolaño's novel, 2666, and I was sucked into it immediately. Joseph hooked me by telling me that the section called The Part About the Crimes, the longest section in the book, reminded him of BLOODYMINDED's "True Crime" CD, in that it acts as a descriptive catalog of the many women murdered and raped in Santa Teresa, a fictional Mexican border town that stands in for Ciudad Juárez, I guess, where a massive amount of crimes have been committed against so many maquiladoras. I guess that it gets Sadean in its detail. But I am not there yet...