Monday, March 14, 2011

AoH - 3/12 show recap

Saturday night's show was a stone cold doom killer. For me, it was as good a line-up as I could ask for. I would be lying if I said that I was 100% confident about the situation at Pancho's going into it -- even though I saw a great set by The Atlas Moth back in November -- but there was nothing to worry about. The PA is solid and our sound engineer on Saturday, Jen, did excellent work with all four bands. In fact, I might say that Rabid Rabbit had the best mix that I have ever heard of them. Both bass guitars rumbled distinctly through the room, propelled by battering ram drums, while the guitar sliced through everything effortlessly... with some sick Hellhammer/Winter tones, to boot. And Andrea's voice has never been stronger and clearer in a mix. Sun Splitter was huge sounding, as always, blasting forth a dense, bulldozing fog, and throwing in perfect hooks to snap your head around, lest you zone out in their industrial wasteland for too long. The Body was up next and they lost none of the power from playing last year through the Empty Bottle PA. This was a crushing set. Less subtle than on their remarkable 2010 LP, the band as trio (with Dead Times electronic reinforcement) totally stunned the crowd with their massive doomy, sludgy, end-time missives. So powerful, so good, and such awesome guys! We (AoH) were up next, and despite my voice having sort of disappeared after dinner (from screaming over loud music all night?), we played pretty solid set. I had a couple of croaking "puberty" moments but in general I dropped my voice a bit lower and made it through. And the screaming parts are never an issue, oddly enough... just the subtle stuff.

My thanks to Andrea and Rabid Rabbit, for having us on the bill. Sun Splitter, for yet another killer show together. The Body, for just nailing it, spot on. (Uncle) Pancho, for being such a fun host. Jen, for making everyone sound so good. Vito and Brian at MPshows, for including us and for a smooth and easy night. And a big thanks to all of our friends and family, who came out to support us!

Onwards to Saturday April 9, at Subterranean, with Indian and Bloodiest... Fuck yes!